WHO DO YOU KNOW
Ever heard the phrase, “It’s not what you know, but who you know?” Doesn’t always seem fair, does it? Well, guess what. As gearheads, we – all of us – have it relatively easy when it comes to getting to know other people. The trick is treating your automotive networking more professionally.
We’ve all walked up to strangers gathered around a popped hood and joined the conversation. How often do we introduce ourselves and attempt to maybe keep those conversations going after the hood’s closed? And if we can do that at the local car show, can’t we also do it online when we come across interesting gearheads from elsewhere in the world? You bet we can.
THE MAN BEHIND RALLY GB FOR 14 YEARS
My buddy Eugenio Perea, part of the organizing team at Rally Mexico recently introduced me to Malcolm Neill, professional motorsport consultant and former head of Rally GB. Malcolm was rallying before I was even born and today holds what I consider a dream job – professional motorsport consultant. As I mentioned, he ran Rally GB for 14 years, but he was also involved in getting Rally Mexico on the WRC calendar, as well as efforts in Canada (Rally Charlevoix), Rally of Jordan, and Rally of Turkey. I know several rally organizers here in the States, but never thought I’d be talking shop with someone responsible for the smooth operation of what is traditionally the final event of the WRC calendar.
WHAT WE TALK ABOUT
- WRC selection process: What are meetings with the FIA are typically like?
- How do organizational challenges vary country to country?
- Where he most commonly finds room for improvement.
- How is rally weathering the current economic storm?
- How many entries is ideal for a rally?
- A special moment he remembers fondly.
- What brings new people to rally?
- What keeps them in rally?
- A single word of advice
- Key activities & looking after WRC teams
DON’T MISS A BEAT!
The full story will be in GBXM #3, coming the first week of April. Are you subscribed yet? It’s free if you subscribe before the end of March.