Here’s how Penmanshift works.
It takes a lot of effort just to get your foot in the door, but where do you start? You start by doing it. “Sure,” you say, “but where am I supposed to do it?” Right here. Where we’re dedicated to radically shifting the direction of automotive journalism. And we believe in what we’re doing so much we’re willing to help you accelerate your voice and publish your early work right here on Gearbox Magazine.
You can stick around and be part of GBXMunited as an owner/partner, learn how to start your own online magazine, or treat your time with us as a sort of internship, on your way to a career with one of the publications you grew up with elsewhere. If you’re willing to help us, we’re willing to help you.
Program participants will go through 15 modules at their own pace – anything from two weeks to a full year – learning what it takes to stand out as automotive journalists. These modules are packed with reading, discussion, and writing assignments designed to challenge, inspire, and empower you to demonstrate aptitude and ability.
Penmanshift Program Overview
- Principles of Journalism Excellence
- AP Style & Gearbox Magazine
- Image Selection/Usage
- Understanding the Audience
- Asking the Right Questions
- Headlines: One Shot. One Kill.
- Comments v.Conversation, Community
- Freedom of the Press
- SMART Goals & Communication
- Research, Fact-Checking, Critical Thinking
- SEO & You
- Social Media Strategies
- The Wind-Up & the Pitch
- The Future & Business of Journalism
- The Future & Business of You
Are you ready?
[ updated 31/12/14 ]