It’s Friday! Last night, we called up three rallyistas and asked them, “What are you going to be talking about with your gearhead friends this weekend?”
- “Why is it so hard for Canada to have organized motorsports?” Leo and friends will be talking about how geography (Canada is 6000km wide by 100km tall) and weather (Canada is practically the North Pole) play into the difficulty in organizing national motorsport series.
- “The situation with Rally Tennessee.” Leo is looking to do some tarmac racing this year, and is planning on running RTN, but there’s a chance he might be able to get a ride in a road race event, too. Will Leo have his cake and eat it too?
- “Converting blondes into rally drivers.” Leo is going skiing with a blonde this weekend, and will be pointing out how sliding sideways on skis is similar to rally driving.
- “We’re gonna be talking about the new hovercraft series we’re gonna start this year.”
- “Real rally. Putting one on.”
- “Running live, in-car video during Rally Tennessee.” Anders has already run tests, streaming Android/iPhone video live from the stage roads. “It’s nothing fantastic, but it’s live, in-car video from real rally cars really racing, so we’re going for it.”
Note: Anders was switching back and forth between some kind of “Mega-ramp ASA Triples Motocross Backflip Extravaganza” and “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby” during this phone call, so we wouldn’t be surprised if NASA partners with Fox Sports for some kind of Shake ‘n’ Bake Rally Car Half-pipe Backflip-a-thon con Queso in the future. You know what they say about evil plans…
- With High Desert Trails (HDT) Rally less than a week away, Kris will be talking “heavy duty HDT stuff.”
- Kris also told us he’ll be checking in with friends who did some rally car testing in Gorman to see how it went.
- “I’ll be setting up and testing my APRS digipeater.” (*APRS = Automatic Packet Reporting System, using HAM radio technology to track rally cars over the internet. It’s pretty cool stuff. You can learn more at Trackerbox.)
- “Blind rally is back at HDT and how cool is that?” None of the competitors have seen the new roads at this resurrected rally event and there is no recce, so everyone will be going off the same notes.
That’s what some of our rally friends are going to be talking about this weekend. What about you?