[images lost during migration – sorry]
This week, we’re featuring one of the fastest cars in Utah. Cody Phillips took some time to answer some questions about what it takes to make an 8 second drag car. Let me also point out, it’s more than a drag car. You can also find this car participating in the Texas Mile, dyno wars and show & shines.
Best E.T. and MPH?
231 mph in the standing mile
What is your Name?
Where are you located?
South Weber, Utah
What do you do for a living?
My 9-5 is the mortgage business, but I’ve always had a passion for building and tuning cars so it seems like I’ve always got a project here for me to work on. I guess that means I’ve got two jobs :)
What got you into drag racing?
Racing and pushing the limits has always been a passion of mine. Drag racing seemed like an obvious choice, and I love the competition. It first started out street racing with some friends and going to the occasional midnight drag or bracket race for fun. Eventually it turned into touring the country racing in multiple events and sanctioning bodies. It’s been a blast!!!
What made you pick a Toyota Supra?
I first fell in love with the Supra years ago as a teenager. I loved the styling lines from all angles. A friend of mine’s father had one that we would get to drive if we persuaded him enough. I made it a goal to finally own one in the future. After having a couple of Hondas and looking at a few different muscle cars, I knew I would always want a Supra in the end. So I would the sacrifices necessary at that time to make it happen and have never looked back.
What is your favorite part of drag racing?
One of my favorite part is pushing myself and the limits of my car to the extreme. I love chasing after the next fastest guy, but I gotta say nothing gets the blood pumping than when you’re lined up staging the car with another car that as fast or faster than you are. That’s the ultimate….
And of course, what is your least favorite part of drag racing?
My least favorite part of racing is the amount of time it takes to be competitive at the highest levels. I definitely don’t like the money it takes to get to where I’m at today with racing. My wife and I have had to make some financial sacrifices throughout the years.
What thoughts run through your head when you’re pulling up to the Christmas tree?
Just lots of confidence and almost always saying “This guy is gonna get broke off!!” You gotta be confident when you strap yourself into some of these cars, otherwise they can get the best of YOU.
What makes you keep pushing your Supra to go faster?
Mostly just personal goals and trying to chase after the next fastest guy. The Supra community is very close and I’ve got a lot of friends across the world that motivate me to push the car more and more.
Got a favorite experience to share from a trip to the drag strip?
I’d have to say one of my best experiences was winning the 2008 Supras Invade Las Vegas (SILV) Hi Roller Series Championship. It’s a combination of a dyno showdown, show and shine, and drag showdown. Literally all the best 6 speed drivers from the nation were at this event and I won the drag showdown running consistent 8’s. I placed 3rd in the dyno pull competition, and 3rd in the show and shine. It was awesome to be able to beat all the best guys in the country and take home the payday!!!
What advice would you give someone who wants to get into drag racing?
Start with a goal that is realistic in the beginning. You know you’ll be able to modify/change your goal as you go along but don’t bite off more than you can chew in the beginning, you’ll just spend too much money and get discouraged.
Who has helped you the most along the way with the car? Any mentors?
I’ve had many, many friends help me along the way. The person who’s pushed me the most and I’ve spent the most time with is Ryan Woon. He’s an awesome friend and a bad ass driver……
Is there a particular shop you’d like to recommend?
Mine of course :)
How can people find you online? Forums, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
Online you can find me at email@example.com, or I also have a Facebook account.
1994 Supra Turbo
Quick Silver 6 speed
Cody Phillips Racing 3.4L Stroker Motor
– BC Billet Crank
– Carrillo H-beam Rods HD version
– CP Coated Pistons with 9.8CR
– Upgraded Wrist Pins
– Titan Motorsports Billet Main Caps
– Cody Phillips Racing Modified Oil Pump
– ACL Coated Race Main and Rod Bearings
– ARP Main Studs
– SP Billet Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket
– Titan Motorsports Crank Pulley
– Cody Phillips Racing Custom Oiling System
Cody Phillips Racing Fully Ported and Polished Race Head
– Five Angle Valve job
– HKS 280 Camshafts
– Titan Motorsports Cam Gears
– Ferrea 2mm+ Intake and Exhaust valves
– Ferrea TI retainers
– Ferrea Double valve springs
– Ferrea Valve guides
– Ferrea Valve seat locators
– Ferrea Valve locks
– ARP ½” Head studs
– Machined Head for ½” head studs
– Toyota Modified Head Gasket for ½” studs
– Toyota Shimless buckets
Turbo kit and Exhaust
– Virtual Works Racing coated T6 race header
– VWR 4.5” coated DP/MP
– Garrett GT55-33R (DBB) turbo with Tial machined GT55 housing
– Polished comp. housing and coated turbine housing
– Dual Tial 44 waste gates
– 4.5” exhaust with Burns Ultra-Light SS muffler
– VWR custom lower water neck
– VWR custom polished upper water neck
– All braided 4an Teflon lines for boost controller
– Braided 4an oil feed line
– Braided 10an oil return
Fuel and Intercooler:
– Precision 165 lbs Injectors (6)
– WOTM Polished 10-an Fuel Rail
– Weldon 2345A Fuel Pump (2000hp)
– Weldon Fuel Filters (2)
– Weldon FPR
– Weldon Dial-A-Flow
– All Braided lines
– VWR custom Fuel pick up for stock fuel tank
– VWR polished Intake Manifold
– VWR T6 Intercooler with Precision Bar and Plate core
– VWR 4” Polished charge pipe to TB
– VWR 3” Custom piping from turbo to Intercooler
– Tial 50mm BOV
– Tilton Quad Disc Clutch
– VWR Custom Chromoly DriveShaft
– VWRDriveShaft loop
– TRD LSD
– AP Billet Aluminum bushing kit
– AEM EMS
– FJO Wideband O2 kit
– HKS DLI
– BC solenoid control by AEM
Suspension, Wheels and tires:
– HKS Drag Suspension Coilovers
– Bogart drag wheels front and back
– Paisley carbon fiber front lip
– RMM wing with Carbon Fiber center
– WOTM front air dam blockers
– Black carpet
– TRD 10k tach
– Sparco Black EVO seats
– Simpson 5 point cam Lock harness
– 10 point cage good for 8.5 NHRA
Swing out on both sides and removable parachute in rear
– Tinted window
– Rear seat deleted
– Alcantara suede in hatch area
– TRD steering wheel
– Chromed Radiator show plate
– Chromed Intercooler show plate
– Greddy Custom Aluminum oil catch can
– TRD Oil cap
– TRD Radiator cap
– Electric Water Pump
– VWR twin electric fans and shroud
– TRD Motor mounts
– Fluidyne Aluminum Radiator polished on top
– -16 AN upper and lower radiator lines
– ½” extended wheel studs front and rear
– Chromed valve covers
– Chromed Drive Belt tensioner
– Line lock kit
– Power Steering and AC deleted
– Engine bay painted and clear coated
– All parts in engine bay are polished or chromed to show quality